Dundalk Grammar School
About this project
Dundalk Grammar School is a day and boarding school with the main building dating from 1817. It is a listed building with protection of the existing heritage building and facade an important consideration in any works.
Based on our previous experience working on heritage buildings, we were appointed as the main electrical contractor responsible for the supply, delivery, installation and testing and commissioning of the complete electrical services in the school.
Work was completed on demolitions and extensions to part of existing heritage school building and we replaced inefficient and ageing facilities. We were also tasked with the complete electrical installation in a new two story 25 classroom building, multi-purpose hall and carpark.
For the project duration the school remained fully operational and we managed and maintained excellent working relationships with the design and construction team as well as the school’s board of management.
Project Challenges at a Glance
- Live educational facility/environment.
- Listed building – protection of the existing heritage building/facade.
- Protection of existing structures.
- Shared access/egress.
- Co-ordination of all installation services.
- Management of all isolations/shutdowns/switchovers.
- Integration of modern technologies within a heritage building whilst maintaining the historic building’s aesthetics.